Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Sh*tty Shelves

I know, I know, I haven't posted in a while. We've been busy with some big changes. I have a couple of little things to post about and then I have a couple of big, exciting posts coming up!! Yay, I can't wait to share them with you!

Anyways on to these sh*tty shelves. When the finishers were up we had them build some custom shelves in the pantry and the master walk in closet. Our original plan was to get the painter to paint them. As it turns out he didn't include the price of painting these in his original quote. So, guess who gets to paint them? Yup, that'd be me. As it turns out I hate HATE painting shelves. Especially these ones. We have built in shelves in the bedrooms that were a piece of cake to paint but these shelves are going to be the end of me. We had contemplated putting the same built-in shelves in all of the closets, I am so glad we decided against that.

Over the weekend I did all the prep work to paint the master closet shelves. I patched and sanded all the nail holes and taped the edges where the shelves meet the walls. I contemplated not taping at all but there are a lot of awkward corners and edges to paint around so I decided to play it safe.

These don't look like they would be that hard to paint and they aren't too bad until you get the shelves in the middle. The shelves look really thick but it's just a false front that helps hide the cleats that are supporting the shelves. It's a great idea until you have to paint under them. I really wish these would have been built differently but it's a bit late now. I foresee a few frustrating weekends ahead of me. I am sure once they are all painted and pretty I'll like them again but it's not going to be fun process.

I started priming and only got about halfway through The Husband's side before I gave up. Hopefully my next attempt goes a bit better.


His Side.

Her Side.


Anyone want to come help me paint?

No comments:

Post a Comment